I actually didn’t know I was a nerd until recently. It’s not like I thought I was cool or anything. I just thought I wasn’t really smart enough to be one. I never really liked to study in school and my grades weren’t great. At forty five I kind of thought I knew myself already. I thought I was just an average everyday wife and mom. Then I realized a lot of my friends don’t think the same way as me. Some of the things I do and say they kind of tilt their heads to the side and nod. They don’t obsess about stories and characters the way I do. They like to shop and put on makeup and get their hair done.
When I sat down to think about it these were the first things that came to mind:
1. For recreation I would rather be reading than doing most other things
2. 99.9% of the time I like the book better than the movie. (Dear John ruined the percentage here)
3. I used to get in trouble when I was a kid for staying up late…reading.
4. I am a spelling snob.
5. I know way too much about the Harry Potter characters.
6. I love musicals and have the music to many of them on my iTunes account.
7. I would rather get electronics as a gift than jewelry or clothes.
8. It makes me happy when I hear they are making a new superhero movie.
9. I know which superpowers I would want and why.
10. I can think of quotes from the Princess Bride to fit almost any life situation.
There’s more than this. I could go on and on. I always thought I knew myself pretty well. It just goes to show even at my age there is much you can learn about yourself. I think that is amazing.
I talk about my nerd girl tendencies on Twitter. If you are interested push the follow me button on the right!